Pages

Thursday, December 23, 2010

****DIY - Decorated Digits****


Renewing my interest in wire wrapping, I learned a new technique.......


Many of the rings I have been making lately have been with cabochons and really only require an extremely good glue and a flat ring base.  This proved to be quite difficult as many, if not all, of the craft stores I normally frequent did not carry this specific base.  The only ring bases available happened to be the ones for a cluster ring.  After much searching (and a random trip to New Hampshire by a really good friend of mine who happened to call to see if I needed any supplies) I did manage to accumulate a few bases but I couldn't quite help wondering why so many places just didn't carry the flat ones.  After a quick email to my favorite supply store on this topic, a response was sent back that so many of the customers prefer to make cluster rings that they just found no need to carry the alternative.  And so I felt it only right that I see what all the hoopla was about and give the cluster ring a go.

As I perused the Google machine looking for helpful tutorials..and not stores that sell tutorials as if its ok to sell simple instructions to make simple rings for $10 and charge shipping...I came across an extremely helpful video that broke down the cluster ring process into three easy steps.
















All I needed was some varying gauge wire and I was all set.  Normally I just use artistic wire in gold because it...as simple and childish as it sounds...its always shinier than the silver.  However, this time around I came across a gorgeous pink champagne color that I instantly fell in love with. It really ties into what I've been thinking of for one of my Spring2011 collections for Naughty Baubles. (Yes I am really going to try and focus next year and take all the inspiration I come across and channel it into something cohesive...most likely few somthings) So here's what I made.....






I really love the way it turned out and I have to say I understand the love of a good cluster ring.  One thing that I was truly impressed with was the instructors direction to use a finer gauge wire to wrap the entire ring coil.  It's a simple concept but everytime in the past that I have made one of these wire rings I used one piece of wire to not only form the base but to coil the ring and adorn the stone or bead being used.  That technique makes it easier for kinks to form in the wire and a slightly unbalanced look can be the result if the wire isn't used evenly on each side.  This way gets rid of those problems and creates a much sleeker ring.......all in all I'm definately a fan and so I was compelled to make another ring.



Yes...sometimes I need to take a break from the monotony of wrapping wire around wire


Wrapping.......

And wrapping......

And done..




Much like my Amethyst Nugget ring, this ring features a large natural stone wrapped in wire.  This time around its Pink Quartz wrapped in champagne pink wire and I'm enamored with it.  I really don't think I could sell it but, it just may find its way onto NaughtyBaubles along with the cluster ring.  If, however, you are interested in either one please just send me a quick email for pricing info and to give me your ring size and you can have your very own.....

5 comments:

Kristen said...

i love both of them! good job. hope you have a wonderful holiday : )

ps- i'm having a leather jacket giveaway and would love for you to enter!

Unknown said...

thats so amazing! merry xmas! xx

salwar said...

amazing design.. realy informative post..

sbot said...

That one is awesomeeeeeee!!!

Im going to have to try this!
thank you soo much!!


www.baublesandbangles.blogspot.com

-Stephanie

PG said...

This is amazing--I am going to have to try this sometime soon!

btw, just became a follower to keep up on your great DIYs :)

smallhappypills.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...