Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

****An Apple A Day - Beauty Essentials 001****


With the daunting task of packing for vacation hanging over my head yet again, I have found myself taking a bit more time in choosing what to throw in the handy make up bag.  As for the word make-up itself....its a big stretch as the only makeup I can manage to put on is mascara despite an overflowing bin or two of Lancome, Mac and Lauder products aging away ungracefully.  Nonetheless, when it comes to deciding what to bring on a trip, I usually find myself throwing whatever's on the counter in a bag and calling it a day...only to  find myself at the nearest CVS the minute after we check in.  This time around I want to advoid the last minute toiletry run and I've been left thinking about my beauty must haves. 

The first item that comes to mind is Apple Cider Vinegar (hence the amazing Miu Miu apple print silk pants in the collage).  This extremely cheap grocery store item has so many uses it should be illegal but for me its the natural acidity that brings me to purchase it.  

Many moons ago Olay use to sell this amazing foot scrub that heated up within your hands and was packed with fine pumice granules to sloth (kind of a nasty word..no) away a week spent confined in sneakers revealing beautiful feet worth of the 5in heels they slipped into.  But like all good things it stopped showing up in stores and after noticing the decline and stocking up, I came to my last drop.  Ever since then I have tried every product on the market with lack luster results.  During one long day of random Google searches, I came across natural and inexpensive beauty remedies with quite a few listing apple cider as the go to item. Further investigating, I found a pedicure treatment that involved soaking one's feet in it.  Granted I was concerned because after reading on I found the person suffered from chronic athletes foot (eeks..) but she talked about the natural acid found in the vinegar and how it promotes cell  turnover.  Intrigued I ran out to Target and grabbed a small bottle. Since I didn't have a foot bath, I soaked a couple of cotton balls an moistened my feet that way.  After letting it dry I washed my feet and I continued to do this every night for a week.  Not only did my feet feel smoother, they certainly didn't look like the same feet trapped in sneakers for 9 grueling hours a day.  I was hooked and now I try give my feet a good swipe a couple times a week. And yes, I am definitely bringing it along on vacation as a great way to further clean my little piggies and ward off any unwanted bacteria. Since I didn't clean the bathroom, I tend to get a little germ-a-phobed out and I think this should help keep the freak out barely there.

One thing to remember is that depending on what brand you get the acidic level may differ. To much and you may find yourself with a slight tingling sensation that could lead to a less than pleasant skin reaction.  Like I said, I just went with the Target brand (5% acidity level) and I had no adverse reaction to it at all.

So now that that's in the good ole make-up..what else is tagging along?

  • Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Garnier Nutritioniste Nutri-Pure Detoxifying Cleansing Wipes (perfect face wipes that leave your face clean and refreshed while also gently scrubbing so your skin feels baby soft..no rinse necessary)
  • Olay Total Effects 7 in 1 Anti-Aging Moisturizer (I'm not sold on this stuff yet but I've been using it without for a little while now and my face hasn't reacted with a sudden breakout like it has with others so that a plus.  Its lightweight and good for day or night)
  • Witch Hazel (A great toner and bug bite soother...can't live a summer without this stuff)
  • Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioner (smells so good, doesn't weigh my hair down and extremely soft)
  • Cantu Shea Butter Shampoo
  • Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum (love the non-greasy shine it gives and its a great pre-heat styling product)
  • Elnett Satin Hairspray 
  • Avon Moisture Therapy Intensive Treatment Lotion (I put this on at night and wake to soft skin...love this stuff)
  • Maybelline Volum' Express Colossal Mascara 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...