Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

****Dirty Business****


WARNING!!!!! This post is heavy on the ranting...




For about half of my life, I knew I was destined to become an OBGYN. I thought nothing was more important than bringing life into this world....also I really love little babies and what better excuse to hold them then being the one to deliver them. However once I entered high school and dealt with a few unpleasant science teachers I developed a less than healthy dislike of the subject and began looking for a new career. It was also around this time that I started working more hours at my job and with that came more money. More money brought more time at the mall and before you knew I was a bonafide shopaholic with an email address (forevershopping05@hotmail.com) to prove it. My new found interest had sparked something within that most girls eventually find and with that spark I began my journey into the world of fashion and, in turn, my LV Monagramed career path.



I looked at the fashion industry as the most glamorous, the most elite, the most beautiful industry to be in. I thought, being a fashionable person of course, it would come naturally to be a part of and I had countless daydreams of myself at NYFW, in Paris, partying with designers and models.....the works. However after my first year into college I realized just how tough the industry is, and rightfully so. Despite those who feel they are superior to the superficial whims of fashion, not one single individual can escape its influence. Shall we flash back to the infamous scene in The Devil Wears Prada? So why is it, with its massive size and power, do we young fashion virgins feel that it is so small and easy to gain access into? In a world where its who not what you know, why do we feel so confident that we will make it? Is there really a place in the massive fashionable scene for everyone?


Well, yes there is. And although back when I first decided to get into the fashion world I didn't picture myself where I am now, I know that's the journey is far from over and I am enjoying the ride. Which brings me to the actual reason for this posting. The one thing I envy about other position in the fashion industry is the work attire. If nothing else you would absolutely think that working in such a fashionable industry your work wardrobe would reflect it. Unfortunately that is not the case with me. I am currently a Visual Merchandiser for Macy's and there is no room for heels or fancy clothing. On a complete side note, can I say I literally thought I was only going to be playing dress up with mannequins all day.....I laugh at this thought every time. Actually the role of a visual merchandiser, although currently changing, is actually more merchandising and quite business driven. I do play stylist every day, but I am also involved in determining where merchandise should go, what should be featured, how to maximize space and fixture placement. All of these daily tasks lead to a very dirty and sweaty workday. When up on a 10ft ladder, you get to familiarize yourself with dirt that has never been touched by any cleaning crew. And it is because of this that I am often dressed less than fashionable.

At first this did not bother me. My job is dirty and as long as I was following the dress
code, all black, I wasn't concerned. But one day after catching a glimpse of myself in a mirror as I was putting up decals in the fitting rooms I realized that logic wasn't working at all. For someone so consumed with clothing and looking presentable I caught myself looking more like Housekeeping than Visual. And from that day on I took a bit more pride in my attire. I stocked up on leggings and tunics and went for it. You are probably wondering why exactly I just took you through this long rant about the fashion industry and my dirty job. Like many of you I document my outfits and post them on Chictopia and Lookbook, but lately I've been feeling like a cheat. I am not afforded the luxury of wearing outfits like those posted on a daily basis and I felt the need to come clean on my 9-5 wardrobe. So here it is.........











No I won't be showing the before pictures ( there are none thank god) but even though I'm not wearing 4.5" heels and leather jewelry I'm still able to feel better about walking around the store....I swear people were starting to hand me their trash and complain about the restrooms
 
 
See you next post....

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...