Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

****Prickly - Thorn Stud Earring DIY****



With all the neon and pattern mixing going on this summer I've found myself drawn to simpler accessories....studs in particular.  After going a bit overboard at one of my favorite bead stores a few months ago my go to pairs have been rough, uncut amythest or quartz nuggets but when I saw the thorn earrings by Lee Hale I promptly removed whatever was in my ear and got to making a pair for myself. 

WHAT YOU NEED:
  • Polymer clay
  • Clay knife/ Xacto
  • Earring posts (I used 6mm ones but I would definitely opt for a 4mm diameter so that your clay thorns don't have to be so thick)
  • E6000
  • Wax paper
  • Gold spray paint


WHAT TO DO:
  • Break off a piece of your clay and soften it up
  • Flatten it out a bit and then cut out two triangles
  • Keeping one side straight, slowly begin to create a curve on the other side
  • After shaping it to your liking go ahead and bake it.  I normally bake mine at 150 degrees on wax paper.  I normally keep checking it until its not flexible and then I know its done.
  • Once they cool off go ahead and spray paint.  I haven't used a can of spray paint since my last job as a visual assistant and even then I wasn't superb but I found the Krylon brand to be much easier to use.  It went on extremely light and misty offering up a really even coat.
  • Let it dry and spray the other side
  • Glue the golden thorns to the earring post then let dry overnight
  • All you have to do now is wear 'em out





2 comments:

squidword said...

these are so beautiful and sweet!
http://mychoicesaremystyle.blogspot.gr/

Kimberly said...

wow they look awesome!

City Style

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...